Designing a system for an application that will allow a user to log, track, and reference their automobile fuel consumption and maintenance history. The application will help the user by reminding them when maintenance is due and will also help them to understand why their automobile is performing optimally or not in relation to recommended maintenance.
- Start a new company
- Provide a better experience for managing a user’s automobile, via a cloud-based
application. This will be done by giving the options needed and nothing more. Presenting
the options in an intuitive manner
- Provide more useful and easy to understand fuel and maintenance data so that user can
get the info they need about their automobile without taking too much time.
- Creating a vehicle (product) to attract customers, to gain more traffic for the core
note: This application or product is a small piece of a much larger product idea. This business model is similar to that of Google’s many apps that are free to use but are designed to increase business to their core business, web search
There will be two user group the application will be targeting. The Everyday Driver and Gearheads (auto enthusiast)
- The Everyday Driver (free) This is any person who uses an automobile with which they want to log, track, and reference their automobile fuel consumption and maintenance history on an easy and low effort basis.
- Enthusiast or Gearhead (paid) This person is an automobile enthusiast. Any free time they have will likely be spent doing something related to motor vehicles, rather cars, trucks, racing, showing, off roading, or whatever else.
- Log events related to fueling their automobile and also any maintenance service performed on the vehicle. (Frequent at every fill-up or any event)
- Manage maintenance schedule (Infrequent for oil changes or any repair)
- Observe reports of outcome (such as fuel mileage) resulting from the particular history of the vehicle resulting from the user’s activities. (Infrequent several events have to take place in order to make a significant difference)
- The Everyday Driver - The interface will offer the simplest interface to allow for a quick and intuitive experience. This might be the free version of the app.
- Gearheads - This interface will offer more customized features to allow a more experienced user the flexibility to tailor the experience to what they need.
- This application will require special consideration in regard to user interfacing for both mobile and desktop type computers. Some activities, such as logging a fuel fill event, will have the added benefit of GPS.
- This system will run on both large and small devices.
Business and User Requirements
Keywords for consideration in this project will include, convenience, intuitive, useful, engaging
The home page for any user will be a dashboard (pun intended) giving a brief overview of upcoming events and the current status of mpg and upcoming maintenance requirements, such as next oil change.
Group 1 (everyday driver):
This option will only allow one vehicle per account
- Events - The user will have the ability to view a history of fuel and maintenance events. They will also have the option to add a new event
- Reports - The user will have available to them fuel mileage and general maintenance information.
For example, they will be able to verify how consistent and diligent they are about getting oil changes or tire rotations. These reports will be baked into the product and not customizable
- Reminders - A reminder system is available for the user to make notification of a needed event. Reminders are based on manual entry, manufacture recommendation, and last entered event
Group 2 (enthusiast):
Group 2 will enjoy all functions that group 1 has, with some enhancements
- Events - The additional options will include entering information for custom upgrades and major repairs
- Reports - Group 2 will have the ability to create their own reports and manage them. Custom report possibilities will allow for example, a report based on fuel mileage from one brand of fuel compared to one or more competitors. Another report might be based on session or months of the year.
- Vehicle - Group 2 will have the ability to add more than one vehicle to their account and will be able to manage the vehicles.
Features and Content Items
- Event forms for both fuel and maintenance
- Scheduling system: reminders, entry form, calendar
- Interactive reports: visually useful reports, data control panel (to change the data shown)